Campaign Video

Https://youtu.be/zBxbnuPAazE

Saturday, 19 September 2026

#532 Peter Karwacki for Rideau-Rockcliffe

Equity? don't talk to me about equity. After 7 years? there is no equity.

Peter Karwacki for Rideau-Rockcliffe, Ward 13 — this time, a real choice
Peter Karwacki Ward 13 · Rideau-Rockcliffe

Ottawa City Council · October 26, 2026

This time, a real choice.

Overbrook · Manor Park · New Edinburgh · Rockcliffe Park · Lindenlea · Wateridge · Carson Grove · Cardinal Glen · Viscount Alexander Park

I'm Peter Karwacki. I'm a project manager and data analyst running in Ward 13. I read the reports, track the votes, and check whether what was announced actually got built. Then I publish what I find in plain language, with the sources.

Voting Day: Monday, October 26, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Monday, October 26

The gap isn't intelligence. It's information.

Informed democracy isn't a passive condition. It's a maintenance task.

Nobody votes for an undeliverable promise on purpose. They vote for it because a council motion and a finished project look the same in a newsletter, and a meeting attended looks like a problem solved.

  • Roughly four in ten eligible Ottawa voters cast a municipal ballot.
  • Incumbents almost always win when they run again.
  • Seventeen candidates ran here in the 2019 by-election. In 2026, two. Why that matters

That's a design problem, not a voter problem. My job is translation: taking the public record that is technically available but practically invisible, and making it usable before you mark a ballot.

Incumbent on the crossing

Opposes the proposed East End Crossing.

My position

Negotiate it. A flat no gives up dedicated transit lanes, a lowered right-of-way, noise walls, and emergency access to Montfort.

Where I stand

Eight positions. Each one links to the posts behind it, so you can check my work.

Streets and bridges

East End Crossing: negotiate, don't just refuse

I support the proposed bridge because it can take heavy truck traffic off downtown streets. A flat no gives up the leverage to write protections into the design: dedicated cross-river transit lanes, a lowered right-of-way with noise walls along the Aviation Parkway, and direct emergency access to Montfort Hospital.

Hemlock Road: a decision date, not another winter

The Wateridge link to Hemlock in Manor Park was supposed to be a public street by 2019. The reasons have kept moving. Each has a workable Ontario answer. I'll press the City and Canada Lands Company for the complete submission record and a date for a decision.

St-Laurent: slow the turns, protect the riders

Before anyone says there's no room for a small circle at Hemlock, I'll ask for three sheets: a peak-hour turning count, a sketch with bus paths over the actual parcels, and a list of property takes. For cyclists, a protected lane down the median.

Oversight and open data

Police oversight you can audit

Consultation before major decisions, accurate reporting, and public metrics on performance and risk. Annual independent audits, and real protection for the people inside who spot problems first.

311 that counts what got fixed

An audit found 123,000 tickets closed in bulk rather than resolved one at a time. A closed ticket is not a fixed problem. Report resolution, not closure. Build on 311 instead of launching another app.

AI at City Hall, out in the open

If software helps decide something about you, you should be able to find out, and reach a human who can change the outcome. A public inventory of City AI use, reviewed each year by the Auditor General.

A fair share for every neighbourhood

Fund the need, then measure it

Quarterly neighbourhood-level food insecurity numbers and inflation-indexed support for community services. In housing, focus on core housing need where it's worst, keep growth from eating green space and farmland, and back 15-minute neighbourhoods.

Parks that match the promises

Bathgate Park lost its basketball court with no replacement, while a park in the neighbouring ward got a full rebuild. Equity shows up at the park gate. I track what each neighbourhood was promised against what it received.

Announcements are easy. Delivery is checkable.

Three places where the paper trail and the street don't match.

Hemlock Road

On paper

A public street connecting Wateridge to Manor Park by 2019.

In practice

Still unbuilt. The target slid to a 2024 design hope, then a 2026 opening, and is now open-ended.

Read post #524

311 service tickets

On paper

Tickets closed.

In practice

123,000 of them were closed in bulk rather than resolved one at a time.

Read post #345

The St-Laurent tunnel

On paper

An engineering finding flagged as urgent in 2020.

In practice

Left unaddressed for years. The station sits in this ward; the disruption will too.

Read post #353

Where to start reading

Over 500 posts is a lot. These make the case. Watch the short clip first if you only have a minute.

Most-read post

This is not a popularity contest

A structural outsider with a method, against an incumbent with a brand.

Read it

Showing 14 posts

Browse the full blog Longer campaign video

Portrait of Peter Karwacki

Why a project manager belongs at City Hall

I've spent my career making complicated things measurable: 13 years at IBM and Cognos, 15 in health services, and since 2013 as the founder of Peer Metrics. I help organizations use data and benchmarking to improve performance.

City Hall runs on projects: road reconstructions, transit lines, housing builds. The questions are the ones I've asked for a living. What was promised? What was delivered? What did it cost? Who checked?

I've lived in Ottawa for 30 years. I publish what I find on my blog and at Unpublished.ca. I'm not here to tell you what you want to hear. I'm here to show you what the record says.

Certified PMP
Project Management Professional
Founder, Peer Metrics
Benchmarking since 2013. peermetrics.ca
Trained data analyst
B.Sc. and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
Civic writer
500+ posts, plus Unpublished.ca

I'm running for one term. The point is the work, not the chair.

Every date you need to vote

Monday, October 26

  1. Sunday, September 20, 4:30 p.m.

    Last chance to check or update the Voters' List online. After that, bring ID and fix it at the voting place.

  2. Thursday, October 1 to Sunday, October 4

    Special Advance Voting, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Vote at any of the citywide "anywhere voting" locations, wherever you live in Ottawa.

  3. Friday, October 16

    Advance Voting Day, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., at your assigned voting place. Last day for completed mail-in ballots to be received.

  4. Monday, October 26

    Voting Day, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., at your assigned place. On the councillor line for Rideau-Rockcliffe, I'd be grateful for your vote.

Find your voting place
Who can vote?

You must be a Canadian citizen, 18 or older on October 26, and a resident of Ottawa — or a non-resident owner or tenant of property here, or their spouse. You cannot be prohibited from voting by law.

What if I'm not on the list?

Until Sunday at 4:30 p.m., use ottawa.ca/vote. After that, you can still be added at the voting place with identification that shows your name and current address.

Do I need the letter in the mail?

No. The voter notification letter is helpful, but identification is what matters at the table.

Help make this a race worth having

The main goal is public debate in this ward, win or lose. Tell me how you'd like to help. If you can take a lawn sign this weekend, say so — that's the highest-leverage hour we have left before advance polls.

I can help with

This opens your email app with your choices filled in. No email app? Write to peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com or call 613-304-5844.

To contribute, email the campaign. Ontario municipal contribution limits apply. This campaign is not listed on the city's contribution rebate program page.

Peter Karwacki

Candidate for City Council, Ward 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe

peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com
613-304-5844

Authorized by the candidate. Paid for by the Peter Karwacki Campaign. Not an official City of Ottawa website.

The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment