Dear Mr. Coyne,
Thank you for the opportunity to share information with Manor Park Chronicle readers.
1. Who are you?
I am Peter J. Karwacki, a long-time Overbrook resident and certified Project Management Professional. I spent 15 years in hospital administration in Northern Ontario as financial director and CEO, responsible for budgets, boards, hiring/firing, strategy, and public accountability. I later worked in business intelligence and OLAP modelling at Cognos/IBM, then as an independent project manager on federal contracts (Health Canada, CBSA, Export Development Canada, Natural Resources Canada). I now run PeerMetrics, focused on performance measurement and benchmarking. I bring analytical, no-nonsense experience to City Hall rather than event-circuit charm.
2. Why run?
Rideau-Rockcliffe and Ottawa face real problems—basement flooding without coordinated protocols, transit that improves only on paper, weak oversight of multi-hundred-million-dollar decisions, and capital spending that too often lacks line-by-line scrutiny. I am running for a third time because the ward needs a councillor skilled in oversight of a $5-billion organization, not just popularity. If elected I commit to a single term so the focus stays on results, not re-election.
3. Key Ward 13 issues
Socioeconomic gaps (especially Overbrook housing need and food security), unreliable local transit (Routes 6,7,12 and active-transportation safety on St. Laurent, Beechwood, Hemlock), balanced intensification that respects heritage in Rockcliffe/New Edinburgh while delivering housing, localized public safety and youth supports, and deferred infrastructure (roads, sewers, stormwater, tree canopy, riverfront). These require transparent data, measured capital priorities, and a councillor who documents patterns and demands accountability rather than accepting “something needs to be done.”
4. Three city-wide issues
First, rigorous financial and performance oversight—strengthening the Auditor General, publishing open data by default, and scrutinizing large projects (Lansdowne-style spending, landfill deals) before they are approved. Second, transit resilience and reliability, including proper hydraulic and stormwater fixes so the LRT and bus network actually perform. Third, honest infrastructure renewal and climate adaptation that ends the quiet deferral of costs onto residents’ basements and property values.
I will read the budget line by line, ask uncomfortable questions, and treat the Municipal Act role of councillor seriously.
A different headshot is available on request.
Peter J. Karwacki
peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com
613-304-5844
https://peterkarwacki.blogspot.com

No comments:
Post a Comment