Campaign Video

Https://youtu.be/zBxbnuPAazE

Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Sweetness and Light

My Campaign Style: Accountability First

I’m not running a feel-good campaign. I’m pointing out structural problems that have built up under long-standing incumbents and offering a different approach.

For too long, city hall has treated big capital projects as the main event while everyday infrastructure in Rideau-Rockcliffe gets neglected. We’ve seen it with the LRT rollout — years of breakdowns, winter failures, and design problems like the tight curve at Tremblay that keeps wearing down train undercarriages. We’ve seen it with Lansdowne 2.0 and the financial risks now landing on the next council. And we see it right here at home: roads in poor condition, flood damage that keeps recurring, and basic facilities like the basketball court in Bathgate Park that badly need to be upgraded and replaced.

I criticize long-standing incumbents because these are not isolated mistakes. They reflect structural issues: weak accountability on major projects, poor prioritization between flashy spending and basic maintenance, and a system that too often protects the status quo instead of delivering results for residents.

My alternative is straightforward. I will focus on the practical needs of Rideau-Rockcliffe — fixing roads, addressing flood resilience, and upgrading local facilities like the basketball court in Bathgate Park. I will push for real transparency on city spending and contracts. I will represent both the suburban and urban parts of this community instead of defaulting to one set of priorities. And I will hold decision-makers accountable when projects under-deliver or when local issues are ignored.

This is not a message of sweetness and light. It is a recognition that structural problems require structural accountability. Voters in Rideau-Rockcliffe deserve a councillor who will say these things clearly and then act on them.

If you want change in how this community and this city are run, that starts with electing people willing to name the problems and push for different outcomes.

1 comment:

  1. Councillor King has introduced or advanced a number of motions since 2019, including
    • the creation of a Built Heritage Standing Committee,
    • a review of the city’s salting practices,
    • measures addressing gun violence through social investment,
    • an anti-racism strategy, and
    • support for a landlord registry.
    These are real initiatives.
    Yet none of them have fixed the roads that remain in poor condition across Rideau-Rockcliffe, stopped the recurring flood damage, or resulted in the upgrade and replacement of the basketball court in Bathgate Park.

    ReplyDelete