Campaign Video

Https://youtu.be/zBxbnuPAazE

Saturday, 19 September 2026

#531 Peter Karwacki for Rideau Rockcliffe

Peter Karwacki for Rideau-Rockcliffe, Ward 13: this time, a real choice
Peter Karwacki for Ward 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe

This time, a real choice.

I'm Peter Karwacki, running for city council in Ward 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe. I'm a project manager and data analyst. I read the reports, track the votes, and check whether what was announced actually got built. Then I publish what I find in plain language, with the sources.

Voting Day: Monday, October 26, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Monday, October 26

The gap isn't intelligence. It's information.

Informed democracy isn't a passive condition. It's a maintenance task.

Nobody votes for an undeliverable promise on purpose. They vote for it because a council motion and a finished project look the same in a newsletter, and a meeting attended looks like a problem solved.

  • Roughly 40% of eligible Ottawa voters cast a ballot in a typical municipal election.
  • Incumbents win essentially every time they run.
  • Seventeen candidates ran in the 2019 by-election for this seat. In 2026, two. Why that matters

That's a design problem, not a voter problem. Nobody has time to audit a police board or read a transit oversight report on a Tuesday afternoon. My job, as I see it, is translation: taking the parts of the public record that are technically available but practically invisible, and making them usable before you mark a ballot.

Where I stand

Eight positions. Each one links to the posts behind it, so you can check my work. Links open in a new tab.

Streets and bridges

East End Crossing: negotiate, don't just refuse

I support the proposed bridge because it can take heavy truck traffic off downtown streets. Just as important, a flat no gives up the leverage to write protections into the design: dedicated cross-river transit lanes, a lowered right-of-way with noise walls along the Aviation Parkway, and direct emergency access to Montfort Hospital. The incumbent opposes the bridge. I'd rather help shape it than have it built to our community without our input.

Hemlock Road: a decision date, not another winter

The Wateridge link to Hemlock in Manor Park was supposed to be a public street by 2019. Since then the reasons have kept moving: bundling with a stormwater pond, protection for Fairhaven's wells, two levels of approval, redesign after redesign. Each has a workable Ontario answer. I'll press the City and Canada Lands Company for the complete submission record and a date for a decision.

St-Laurent: slow the turns, protect the riders

The approved corridor plan never tried a small circle at Hemlock, and nobody has shown the turning counts that would rule one out. Before anyone says there's no room, I'll ask for three sheets: a peak-hour turning count, a sketch with bus paths drawn over the actual parcels, and a list of property takes. For cyclists, I'm pushing a protected lane down the median, the way Brooklyn's Ocean Parkway has done since 1894.

Oversight and open data

311 that counts what got fixed

An audit found 123,000 tickets closed in bulk rather than resolved one at a time. A closed ticket is not a fixed problem. I'd report resolution, not closure, and build on 311 instead of launching another app.

AI at City Hall, out in the open

If software helps decide something about you, you should be able to find out, and to reach a human who can change the outcome. I'd publish a public inventory of the City's AI use and have the Auditor General review it every year.

A fair share for every neighbourhood

Parks that match the promises

Bathgate Park lost its basketball court with no replacement, while a park in the neighbouring ward got a full rebuild. Equity shows up at the park gate, so I track what each neighbourhood was promised against what it received.

Announcements are easy. Delivery is checkable.

Three places where the paper trail and the street don't match.

Hemlock Road

On paper

A public street connecting Wateridge to Manor Park by 2019.

In practice

Still unbuilt. The target slid to a 2024 design hope, then a 2026 opening, and is now open-ended.

Read post #524

311 service tickets

On paper

Tickets closed.

In practice

123,000 of them were closed in bulk rather than resolved one at a time.

Read post #345

The St-Laurent tunnel

On paper

An engineering finding flagged as urgent in 2020.

In practice

Left unaddressed, which is why I read it alongside the Elliot Lake precedent.

Read post #353

Where to start reading

Over 500 posts is a lot to wade through. These are the ones that make the case best. Links open in a new tab.

Most-read post

This is not a popularity contest

The shortest route to my pitch: a structural outsider with a method, against an incumbent with a brand. You don't need any background to follow it.

Read the most-read post

Showing 14 posts

Browse the full blog

Portrait of Peter Karwacki

Why a project manager belongs at City Hall

I've spent my career making complicated things measurable: 13 years at IBM and Cognos, 15 in health services, and since 2013 as the founder of Peer Metrics, where I help organizations use data and benchmarking to improve performance.

City Hall runs on projects: road reconstructions, transit lines, housing builds. The questions are the ones I've asked for a living. What was promised? What was delivered? What did it cost? Who checked?

I've been tracking council decisions for years, and I publish what I find on my blog and at Unpublished.ca. I'm not here to tell you what you want to hear. I'm here to show you what the record says and let you decide.

Certified PMP
Project Management Professional
Founder, Peer Metrics
Project management benchmarking, since 2013. peermetrics.ca
Trained data analyst
B.Sc. and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
Civic writer
Over 500 blog posts, plus Unpublished.ca

I'm running for one term.

Every date you need to vote

Monday, October 26

  1. By Sunday, September 20, 4:30 p.m.

    Check or update your details on the Voters' List, so nothing slows you down at the polls.

  2. Thursday, October 1 to Sunday, October 4

    Special Advance Voting, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Vote at any of 10 locations, wherever you live in Ottawa.

  3. Friday, October 16

    Advance Voting Day, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., at your assigned voting place.

  4. Monday, October 26

    Voting Day, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., at your assigned voting place. When you reach the councillor line for Rideau-Rockcliffe, I'd be grateful for your vote.

Find your voting place

Help make this a race worth having

My main goal has been to make room for public debate in this ward, win or lose. Tell me how you'd like to help and I'll get back to you.

I can help with

This opens your email app with your choices filled in. No email app? Write to peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com.

To contribute to the campaign, email me. Maximum contribution limits apply.

Peter Karwacki

Candidate for City Council, Ward 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe

peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com
613-304-5844

Authorized by the candidate. Paid for by the Peter Karwacki Campaign. Not an official City of Ottawa website.

The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment