Monday, 20 July 2026

The New and Improved Me

This Time Is Different – Why I’m Running Again for Rideau-Rockcliffe

This is my third time running for City Councillor in Rideau-Rockcliffe.

The long-standing problems in our ward and across Ottawa haven’t disappeared. Homelessness continues to rise in raw numbers despite years of plans. Combined sewers still flood basements and quietly erode property values. OC Transpo reliability remains inconsistent. Police oversight structures still depend on the organizations they’re supposed to hold accountable. Big infrastructure decisions keep getting studied instead of delivered.

What has changed is me — and the way I approach these problems.

I earned my PMP certification in 2012. For years I’ve managed complex projects that demand clear outcomes, disciplined tracking, risk management, and real accountability when results fall short. This time I’m applying those same principles directly to municipal government.

City Hall is excellent at producing outputs — plans, reports, committee meetings, budgets allocated, motions passed. What it has struggled with is delivering outcomes that residents can actually feel: fewer people sleeping rough, homes protected from flooding, buses that show up on time, and oversight that actually works.

My approach is different because it treats these persistent files like serious projects:

  • Define success with measurable targets up front instead of vague aspirations
  • Track real progress against those targets with transparent dashboards
  • Build in independent verification so we’re not just taking the city’s word for it
  • Adjust course quickly when something isn’t working, rather than writing another plan four years later
  • Hold the system accountable for results, not just activity

Rideau-Rockcliffe doesn’t need another councillor who is good at moving motions forward. It needs one who is willing to stop the ones that aren’t producing results and demand better delivery on the files that matter most to our neighbourhoods.

I’ve been writing about these issues on this blog because I believe voters deserve the details, not slogans. You’ll see scorecards, data breakdowns, and straight talk about what has and hasn’t worked. That same evidence-based, delivery-focused mindset is what I’ll bring to the council table if elected.

The problems are real and they’re persistent. But persistence without better methods just gives us more of the same. I’m running again because I now have a clearer, more disciplined framework for turning good intentions into measurable progress for Rideau-Rockcliffe.

If you want to see the difference in action, keep reading the blog. Share it with neighbours. Ask me hard questions when I’m at your door or at community events. And on October 26, vote for the candidate who is focused on outcomes, not just more plans.

This time really is different — because I am.


Peter Karwacki
Candidate for Rideau-Rockcliffe
peterkarwacki.overbrook@gmail.com
peterkarwacki.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment